We constantly get asked where we find the time and motivation to do what we do. For us, it’s quite a strange question as we all have the same number of hours in the day and days in the week. The answer is pretty simple, we don’t find more time – we’re efficient with the time we have, we prioritise and we don’t let our goals get away from us!
We both have full time careers which are completely separate to fitness, are posing coaches, PCA judges and co-owners of Girl Code Gains. MVD also has her own bikini making business, we compete at a Pro level and are both full time dog mummas :) All of these things are so important to us that it’s not an option in our minds to not succeed.
You have the option to coast through life and accept the usual ‘you should be doing X’, ‘you must do Y’ that society will tell you. OR you have the option to take control and build your life into the exact shape which makes you happy. You can choose safe and average, or you can challenge yourself to really start living out the life you dream of – We’ve chosen the second option!
Everyone goes through negative and difficult times in their lives, has insecurities and doubts, and worries about failure. What matters is how you use these feelings – they will either drive you forward to achieve everything you are capable of, or cripple you into being stuck in that ‘comfortable’ rut.
We don’t buy into ‘average’, we work incredibly hard to pursue our passions and achieve personal growth as it is the most rewarding feeling. Once you know what it’s like to make yourself proud – you won’t be able to settle for less.
Below are our top 5 tips to find your motivation:
- Set goals! Know what your end game is – Visualise what you want the big picture to look like then break that down into stages you can realistically achieve. Think long, medium and short terms – Make them specific then get working. And, remember – Big successes are the result of mini goals adding up along the way.
- Planning! Set aside some time on Sunday evening to map out your week ahead – what days are you going to get your workouts in? What time are you dedicating to achieve your career goals? Are you factoring in enough time to reach your personal goals such as seeing your family more?? Every morning get into the habit of reviewing your plan, check what’s changed and how you can adapt. Remain flexible with your methods but firm with your goals.
- Failure! No one ever achieved anything worth while first time around with no set backs. The reason successful people are successful is because they never, ever stop trying. Maybe you get it wrong 8 times, then succeed on the 9th! The only time you will ever fail and stop progressing is if you give up – Stick with it and know that as long as you keep putting in the effort you ARE progressing and you WILL get there in the end.
- Consistency! ‘Success is the result of small efforts, repeated day in and day out’. This applies to EVERY aspect of your life – Training: One session won’t get you to where you want to be, but consistent effort will. Nutrition: One good meal won’t get you that dream body, consistently eating well day in day out will. Education: Reading one book won’t give you all the answers, consistently educating yourself day in day out will get you closer. Relationships: One act of kindness won’t fix your relationship, consistently showing effort and respect day in day out will.
- Surround yourself with the right people! Pay close attention to who you spend your valuable time with. They say you take on the traits of the people you spend most time around – People either add to or drain your energy, adjust your circle accordingly!!
Trust the process! You will be faced with set backs, curve balls, challenges and unexpected obstacles. You WILL overcome all of these as long as you consistently put in the effort! This is why we created GCG – we are so proud to be at the heart of a group of such positive, driven women who are building on their achievements every day! Regardless of what your goals are, whether they’re: Career, financial, body goals – ANYTHING. You go get them ladies ;)
Shan & MVD xx